Wednesday 19 December 2007

A few from a new series





I have just started a large series of small works, literally in the first few days. These particular three have caught my eye at what was supposed to be a very early stage. I am considering not doing to much more to them. I am not so much seeking advise as to how far to push them, but more just interested in what you think of what is a shift in direction. It is one which has been working its way through for a while, but just been held back by other works being finished.

The large series of small works also sees another direction open up. There are a group of works which more consciously quote from and comment on past works. The commentary is not an art historical one (although that obviously informs it). I hope it is a more democratic borrowing, but one which considers memory, history, the destruction of imagery and the reconstruction of more universal narratives. The semiotics of images also interest me, taking a sign and then destabalising it, placing it in a new context (spatial in particular) to shift its reference. This is all obviously talk at the moment. Ill give you some kind of idea of how I envisage it visually when a few works from this series get further down the line.
I am, despite how it may sound, trying to avoid being to preconceived in the ideas. It is more about finding images that interest me and then finding ways to play with them to create new dramas, new narratives, new images. About harnessing that which already exists and transferrring it into a parrell world. I think.

No comments: