Monday 29 October 2007

Its raining men!


Another new sketch for a possible future painting. At first I used repeated forms as I have not sourced enough falling figures yet. Yet I actually think the repetition helps to create rhythms across the surface; as if each figure is a different note and then the arrangement is like composing a song. I like the notion of moving towards something tragic on a sublime level. I seem to be pouring new compositions out at the moment, far far faster then I can paint them, so I now have about 15 on the go. I dont know if this means the ideas are just weak and empty, but at the moment I am trying to not over think it, and allow each picture to give the seed for the next idea. After this period of creation, when these ideas have been knocked out, I will stand back and consider the results. Chacnes are I will think a lot of them are shit, but even that will provide a base to work from and make me question what i am trying to do.

The play between figuration and abstraction continues. Have also just started a series on Autumn in general. Along with the new Danae paintings and my MArsyas series these are moving towards a totally none figurative essence. Where the language of abstraction searchs for representation.

other works like 'drummer:ritual dance', 'Icaroonus, the child and the smoke' 'The Sinner and the child I and II', 'Our Birmingham Rulers', 'Curtis', and 'Acteon on the run from his own dogs' are all moving towards a clearer form of figuration. more characterisation, certain graphic or illustrative elemetns, more solid compositional forms, more explciti narratives and meta narratives and an accidental push towards contemporary fragmentations of meaning.

No comments: