Friday 26 October 2007





Some new photoshop sketches. Andy, I have taken your advise. Now doing my photoshop sketches quicker, leaving them less resovled. Merely using it to play around with narrative coimposition. The stylistic development should and must happen on the canvas. Thus in the two sketches shown the borrowings have not even been slightly hidden or developed.
The chair in the top images 'Ian Curtis' borrows from a work by Tapies. I would plan to use a more simplified chair in the final piece. The figure on the left in 'Acteaon' borrows from Drouais, the dog comes from Titian and the figure comes from the follwoers in Bacchus and Ariadne. None of these borrowings would necessarily be incorporated in the painting. I just needed to get something in quickly, to record the idea. Thus I am leaving the figurative development open for the painterly process. This is no more than a sketch of an idea. Would be interested in your thoughts, as well as your thoughts on the earlier sketches 'Icaroonus the child and the smoke' and 'Adam and Apollo chase...'

Just had another read of Ode to Autumn and quite like it. Right, I need to go construct a lecture. In a bit.

No comments: